Vanderbilt University Medical Center Clinical Laboratory Associate 3 - VUMC Diagnostic Specimen Processing Laboratories CLS in Nashville, Tennessee
DiscoverVanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC’s Diagnostic Laboratories - consisting of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), Clinical Pathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS), and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS) - have state-of-the-art automation and exceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performance of tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced and exceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals with advanced LIS systems and technologies.
Vanderbilt’s Diagnostic Laboratories support adult and pediatric care for inpatient and outpatient settings. Our fast-paced, team oriented culture gives you the opportunity to contribute to breakthroughs with healthcare advancements. We support your career growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program and a established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL).
Triages and processes advanced specimen independently. Works closely with all laboratory staff, medical staff, and external customers including advanced troubleshooting and problem resolution. Performs packing and shipping of laboratory specimens to be sent out to referring laboratories. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here at https://hr.mc.vanderbilt.edu/careers/requirements/PhysicalRequirementsGroup57.pdf .
Receives and triages advanced specimens.
Prepares specimens and patient materials for shipping.
Provides advanced clerical support and customerservice.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview ofthe position and additional duties may be assigned.
PATHOLOGY (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of pathology in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering results without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
LABORATORY PRACTICES (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate laboratory practices in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
SPECIMEN COLLECTION - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of specimen collection in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering specimen collection services without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Keeps management informed on all aspects of one or more projects. Takes personal responsibility to ensure external and internal customer satisfaction is met despite pressures and/or significant obstacles. Discusses options with customer for alternative ways to meet expectations cost-effectively and efficiently. Commands respect and confidence from customers, and identifies, influences and creates business opportunities. Negotiates with customers for changes in service levels, understanding the business rationale for those changes. Deals with unexpected customer demands smoothly and without conflict.
Organizational Impact: Independently performsnon-routine tasks that significantly impact team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Gathers and analyzesdata to solve problems that arise with little or no precedent.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced job knowledgeand has developed a breadth of skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Serves as a lead for the team byproviding expertise and guidance to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy andenthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gainknowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regularcontact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informalopportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes groupinteractions and modifies one's own communication style to suit differentsituations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understandcurrent and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes servicesto better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems Approaches problems fromdifferent angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunitiesand develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Providesongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increaseemployees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formaland informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issuespromptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learningexperiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes ofproblems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements:Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performsroutine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense ofownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understandingof the departmental work to effectively manage resources for adepartment/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strongunderstanding of the information or data to identify and elevateopportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies newideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processesbeyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm forlearning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-termchallenges
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/orproblems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces changeinstead of emphasizing negative elements.
- High School Diploma or GED and 2years relevant experience
Diagnostic laboratory exposure withhigh volume automated specimen handling systems, as part of the qualitative andquantitative analysis of human specimens
Attention to detail, ability towork well under pressure with tight turnaround times, and ability to adapt in adiverse, team-based culture
Demonstrated ability to deploycollaborative customer service tactics in a effective manner that generatesresolution and overcomes challenges with teammates, internal, and externalcustomers; while maintaining harmony
Minimumof 2 years diagnostic laboratory experience with high volume specimenreceiving, handling, accessioning, and processing without error
- Full-Time, Saturday-Tuesday,6am-4:30pm CST
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health CareProvider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( BillWilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked amongthe nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascularhospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitalsin America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital SafetyScore
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees formedical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only grouphonored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "MostWired" medical systems in the US
Download the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/39107 to learn more about our services and facilities.
Job Allied Health
Organization: Specimen Processing 201442
Title: Clinical Laboratory Associate 3 - VUMC Diagnostic Specimen Processing Laboratories CLS
Location: TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Requisition ID: 1809725
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.