Vanderbilt University Medical Center Medical Laboratory Scientist 2 - VUMC Diagnostic Molecular DNA Laboratories in Nashville, Tennessee
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC’s Diagnostic Laboratories - consisting of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), Clinical Pathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS), and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS) - have state-of-the-art automation and exceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performance of tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced and exceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals with advanced LIS systems and technologies.
Vanderbilt’s Diagnostic Laboratories support adult and pediatric care for inpatient and outpatient settings. Our fast-paced, team oriented culture gives you the opportunity to contribute to breakthroughs with healthcare advancements. We support your career growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program and a established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL).
Performs routine clinical pathology testing appropriate to cytogenetic laboratory services under occasional guidance. Responsible to accurately record results and assure timely delivery of results. Has the authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory test methodologies. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and the evaluation of the patient's response to treatment. Applies clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical test results which leads to quality patient care outcomes. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/work-at-vanderbilt/requirements/nursing1.pdf .
Provides patient-focused care in a clinical setting through the accurate performance of routine and complex tests through the pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic stages.
Performs qualitative and quantitative analytical procedures, including reagent preparation and appropriate quality control, according to required protocols, with precision and accuracy in a timely and efficient manner.
Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
DIAGNOSTIC TESTING (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate diagnostic testing in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
DATA ANALYSIS - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate data analysis in practical data analysis applications of moderate difficulty. Navigates within established technology environments to locate, validate, extract, and format data for data analysis. Able to modify and run queries and standard reports from data tools and provide to users. Can identify data values and data sources. Is familiar with data modeling. Is able to interview business customers to elicit data requirements and understand the relationships between data items.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
MENTORING & COACHING - (NOVICE): - Constructively trains and mentors others by providing positive direction and feedback. Has provided constructive suggestions to improve a situation. Knows how to remove roadblocks to success and avoids judgments at all times. Makes a concerted effort to pass on experiences and job information that can be learned easily.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
- Successful completion from accredited institution of CAHEA or NAACLS accredited Medical Technology program or BS from accredited institution with major in biological, chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science and ASCP technologist generalist or categorical certification or equivalent certification; or equivalent education and experience per CLIA and TN Medical Laboratory Board (1200-06-01-.22)for personnel performing high complexity testing. and 1 year relevant experience Tennessee State Licensure as a MT, MB, or related designation
Team player with excellence organizational skills, attention to detail and exceptional interpersonal communication skills
Molecular Biology, MB (ASCP) certification with a minimum of two years’ experience in a College of American Pathologists (CAP) accredited clinical laboratory
- Full-Time, Monday-Friday day shift, flexible work days and hours
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Download the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/39107 to learn more about our services and facilities.
Job Clinical Labs/Pathology
Organization: DNA Molecular Genetics 201458
Title: Medical Laboratory Scientist 2 - VUMC Diagnostic Molecular DNA Laboratories
Location: TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Requisition ID: 1806312
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.