Vanderbilt University Medical Center Nursing Education Specialist - Perioperative Services in Nashville, Tennessee
JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Job Code: 3390
Job Stream Description: Professional
Develops, implements, evaluates, and revises programs of orientation, in-service training, workshops, and continuing education to meet educational and developmental needs of staff. Takes a lead role in educational initiatives to ensure quality patient care and customer satisfaction. Serves as a leader in the development, training, and monitoring of nursing practice standards. Acts as a resource and liaison to the VUMC community by serving on hospital wide committees or task forces. Represents Vanderbilt within the professional community. Performs a range of nursing, clinical, consultative, educational, and research activities within established area of expertise.
Use a systematic process to enhance the quality and effectiveness of nursing practices.
Establishes collegial partnerships contributing to the professional development of peers, students, colleagues and others.
Integrates evidence-based practices into educational initiatives and activities.
Maintains current knowledge and competency in nursing and professional development practice.
Evaluates his/her own practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
EDUCATIONAL ASSESSMENT (NOVICE): - Demonstrates ability to assess education and professional development needs in practical applications. Utilizes performance improvement data, course evaluations, and needs assessments to determine educational goals and priorities. Analyzes data and forecasts trends affecting educational needs. Differentiates educational needs from system issues. Communicates feedback related to staff performance and development/progress to appropriate department leadership.
PLANNING - (NOVICE): - Demonstrates ability to realistically anticipate resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work within areas of direct responsibility. Appropriately matches equipment and capital resources to task demands. Achieves results within budget. Competently handles multiple assignments simultaneously. Reshapes project during life-cycle evolution, if needed. Demonstrates ability to break down work into manageable and measurable units. Accepts changes to assignments with minimal disruption and loss of productivity. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Uses available time efficiently. Follows up to assure problems and issues are resolved.
TEAM EDUCATION (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to independently deliver healthcare team education services. Promotes critical thinking and problem solving. Able to train and educate by example, technical instruction, and leadership.
NURSE EDUCATION TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT (NOVICE): - Demonstrates ability to develop, deliver, and lead a program in its entirety. Gives clear, concise instructions. Demonstrates the ability to deal with adversity and disruption.
EVALUATION (NOVICE): - Evaluates programs and educational initiatives in terms of impact on learner, patient, and organization. Monitors validity and reliability of evaluation tools. Uses program evaluations and other metrics to guide the restructuring and planning for future programs and learning opportunities. Follows up with executive and administrative leaders to determine if business and/or operational goals are met.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click here to view a day in the life as a Vanderbilt OR Nurse! at https://youtu.be/hc3p1tVdl8U
Click here to view the VUMC Promise of Discovery
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Achieve the Remarkable:
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
Nursing Careers : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/index.html
Benefits : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/benefits.html
Our Nursing Philosophy : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/philosophy.html
Our Nursing Leadership : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/leadership.html
Shared Governance : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/shared-governance.html
Education & Professional Development : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/professional-development.html
Life In Nashville : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/nashville.html
VUMC Nursing : http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=vanderbilt-nursing
Master's Degree (or equivalent experience) in Nursing. May be hired into role if actively pursuing Master's degree with a projected completion date. and 3 years of RN experience.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Registered Nurse Required
OR experience Required
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Heavy Work category requiring exertion of 50 to 100 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 20 to 50 lbs. of force frequently and/or up to 10 to 20 lbs. of force continually to move objects.
Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs, with help of coworkers or assistive device
Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees.
Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Frequent: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Frequent: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Frequent: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Frequent: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Frequent: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self, patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and small spaces
Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Frequent: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Frequent: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Continuous: Feeling: Ability to perceive size, shape, temperature, texture by touch with fingertips.
Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Frequent: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Job Nurse Educator
Organization: VUH Periop OR/Holding Admin 201567
Title: Nursing Education Specialist - Perioperative Services
Location: TN-Nashville-Oxford House
Requisition ID: 1806577
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.